Friday, August 26, 2016

Weekend Adventures: Valdez

Summer is officially over😭😭 I'm not a summer girl but I really enjoyed this summer! It was so sunny and warm. We did so much stuff and a had a great time. 
The day after my 27th birthday (27 years old?!?! How...why...seriously, why?! Last I checked I was like 23. Sigh.) we drive five-ish hours to Valdez to go "camping". Honestly, I didn't want to go. Like, what's in Valdez?! Can't we just hike around somewhere close by and then come home to sleep in our own beds?? Camping just ain't my thing. But I sucked it up and went anyways, because I'm awesome like that😋 actually, it's because 1) I didn't have a choice and 2) we said we weren't going to waste time while living in AK. So we went. And stayed in a cabin. So, yea...we went "camping" hahahah

Not great quality but let's be real here. iPhone pictures taken while in a moving car are NEVER good quality haha
But this one is!

Summer in AK=filthy windshields. And usually a crack or two. Or a thousand. Somehow our windshield made it through breakup season and summer without a single crack or chip. Of course, now I've just jinxed it. 
He is so blasted cute
Happily watching a movie. We bought the DVD players specifically for this trip. 
Look at this cute little cabin! And that cute girl on the porch! We went with a bunch of people from Nathaniel's unit. A few people rented cabins, at least one went tent camping, and all the rest had RVs or campers or whatever they're called. Maybe someday we'll get one. I could "camp" that way haha
We walked down to see the catch of the day! Ew. But yuuuuummm
Oh look, Caden's throwing rocks in water. Literally his favorite thing on earth to do. 
S'mores and pj's 

The next day a bunch of the guys went fishing in the morning. I'm glad Nathaniel got to go but we were so bored in the morning. 6am is a great time to wake up while camping, according to my kids. We made our own fun but it was a relief when they all back (around lunchtime). 
That's a wide sidewalk that she's next to, not the road. The road was on the other side of the grass behind the sidewalk.
This big tic-tac-toe board was fun!
We walked down to a fish fry! It was yummy and it was free! It was also gorgeous and HOT. If it gets to like 80 degrees, we're dying! 
We drive out of town a little ways to check out the waterfalls. They were beautiful 


We hopped the guardrail to get closer. That's safe, right? I ripped my new jeans on the guardrail too😭 also, he's way too big to be holding like that!! 
Super cool train tunnel with a cool story! 


Sleepy little girl 
We went back into town to watch a local guy feed eagles. It was so cool!!
 Pictures do not do this experience justice. I posted a video on Facebook a while back. If anyone wants to see it, I can repost it.
More eagles!

And then we drove home the next day! It was short and sweet and we had a great time. We got to hang out with friends, eat some darn good food, and see new things. We got to go geocaching for the first time, throw rocks in waterfalls, and get eaten alive by mosquitos. 
As soon as we got back on base we saw a bear! So cool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment